LOGO OF WEBPAGE

What does a Panic Attack feel like?

What does a Panic Attack feel like?

zach-kadolph-BbsMvdb7Qc0-unsplash (2).jpg

This is a difficult question to answer. Why? Because Panic Attacks can feel completely different to everybody.

I find when I'm having a panic attack, I get a crushing pain in the center of my chest, I find it very hard to breathe, pain radiating out in to my arms and jaw. I get dizzy, can't focus and get extreme tingling in my extremities. It is quite literally debilitating and quite frequently stops me completely in my tracks.

Sometimes the only way I can bring myself back down and in to reality is to go to the hospital and have them assure me I am not having a heart attack.
Unhealthy? Yes.
Long term solution? No.
Only way I can manage? Yes someimes.

There are many different causes of panic attacks and they are different for everyone.

When you are feeling scared or anxious your body releases stress hormones called adrenaline and cortisol, which can be helpful in some situations. Other times, this can result in physical symptos such as a rapid heart rate, perspiration, rapid breathing or shortness of breath.

Some common symptoms of panic attacks can include:
  • Chest pain of discomfort.
  • Rapid breathing or shortness of breath.
  • Dry mouth.
  • Tingling in the extremeties.
  • Digestive problems, such as a sudden need to use the bathroom.
  • Feelings of impending doom, or like something terribe is going to happen.
  • Dizziness
  • Feelings of detatchment or disassociation.
If you know the cause of your panic, it may be easier to find management tools.

For example, your panic could be triggered by:
  • Difficulty in relationships, divorce or abuse.
  • Pressure in the workplace, unemployment worries or retirement.
  • Heath worries, including chronic conditions or sudden illness or injury.
  • Past experiences such as abuse, neglect or bullying.
  • Financial worries, such as mounting debt, unexpected bills or difficulty repaying loans.
  • Sudden change in circumstances, such as having a baby, a wedding or buying a new home.
Sometimes it can be difficult to communicate to people the reasons why you feel this way, but talking really does help to find management tools.

Last edited:

Latest Posts