LOGO OF WEBPAGE

Lithium

ALLEGRA

Lithium is a drug that we prescribe for dipolar disease. It has the dual action of mood elating and mood stabilizing.

The problem with lithium are two fold
1. The struggle to find a better drug during pregnancy as Lithium has to be stopped then.
2. The vagaries of total blood count that often create big issues.

Do you take Lithium? How has the experience been so far?

Lee

Administrator
Staff member
Admin Team
Never taken Lithuim, don't know anybody who has either.

Doesn't sound lile something I would like to be medicated with TBH.

OP
ALLEGRA

ALLEGRA

Oh. Is that the case?

I am pretty intrigued by the fact that its not a common medication amongst those suffering from BPD.

What other drug do you use as first line mood stabilizers? Is Sodium valproate a drug of choice? Anyone consuming SV?

Lee

Administrator
Staff member
Admin Team
Oh. Is that the case?

I am pretty intrigued by the fact that its not a common medication amongst those suffering from BPD.

What other drug do you use as first line mood stabilizers? Is Sodium valproate a drug of choice? Anyone consuming SV?

It could be. Maybe I just dont know anybody who takes it!

Dougal

I have taken lithium before but it didn't work for me. It is a "gold standard" medication because 40% respond well to it, or something like that, which is pretty high for a bipolar medication.

I used to take depakote, I hated that one too. It didn't help really. Now I am on Abilify, Wellbutrin, and Xanax for anxiety. The Abilify is a hit or miss mood stabilizer (actually atypical antipsychotic) but it works for me with few side effects.

Lee

Administrator
Staff member
Admin Team
I have taken lithium before but it didn't work for me. It is a "gold standard" medication because 40% respond well to it, or something like that, which is pretty high for a bipolar medication.

I used to take depakote, I hated that one too. It didn't help really. Now I am on Abilify, Wellbutrin, and Xanax for anxiety. The Abilify is a hit or miss mood stabilizer (actually atypical antipsychotic) but it works for me with few side effects.
40% is a pretty effective medication to be fair.

How are you managing with Bipolar these days, is it under control?

I know you say Abilify is hit and miss, hopefully mostly hit?

We can't get repeat Xanax over here, our doctors won't prescribe it for fear of addiction. We can only get short term treatments of benzo's and quite often they come from the secondary care setting rather than the primary one (aka the emergency room, not the doctors office).

Dougal

40% is a pretty effective medication to be fair.

How are you managing with Bipolar these days, is it under control?

I know you say Abilify is hit and miss, hopefully mostly hit?

We can't get repeat Xanax over here, our doctors won't prescribe it for fear of addiction. We can only get short term treatments of benzo's and quite often they come from the secondary care setting rather than the primary one (aka the emergency room, not the doctors office).

Bipolar is a hit or miss thing, I have good and bad spells. I think that is just how life is with it where I am at on the bipolar spectrum. Not fully "recovered" whatever that may be. I am working of stuff in therapy and that helps, in combination with the meds. Abilify works well for me but I have heard of a lot of people that it didn't work for, or who couldn't take it because of side effects. For me it limits hypomania/mania which in turn limits the downswings that were to follow. The Wellbutrin is an antidepressant that isn't an SSRI type, it is for depression.

That's interesting about Xanax. I have been on it since 2009, only a tiny dose, regularly, but it really does help with Panic Disorder. I am dependent on it but I don't know that it's the same thing as addiction, I would get sick if I were taken off from it all at once and could have seizures and die. I would get sick and go mentally "off" if I were withdrawn from my other meds cold turkey too. I guess because I'm on such a small dose my psychiatric provider doesn't consider it a big deal, although many doctors here simply won't consider any benzos period. It is the only thing that I have ever taken that actually helped my anxiety, I have tried a lot of different combos through my old provider that did nothing at all.

Latest Posts