LOGO OF WEBPAGE

I am tired of my doctors and people telling me they know what I am going through!

Soulwatcher

Staff member
Mod Team
I suffer from Schizophrenia and my life is a living nightmare every day and the best I can do is try to make the best of every day. And I don't want to go into detail because it's private but I am tired of my doctors and people telling me that they know what I am going through. And the truth is people have no idea what I am going through unless they have Schizophrenia too. The best I can describe it is its a nightmare that you never wake up from. Anyone else with Schizophrenia know what I am talking about?

midnight

Avatar is my rainbow bridge baby Ebony
Supporter
I don't have schizophrenia (spelling) but I can understand, it not right when people haven't walked in your shoes yet insist they know what your going through 🤗 (hug smilie I think)

ZandraJoi

I don't have Schizophrenia. People can have empathy even if they are not able to have sympathy. I've been thru my share of mental issues & have family as well. Sometimes even if one doesn't have the same disorder, they may have a same Symptom & that is what they can relate to. Have you told these people what you just wrote? I think that'd be a good healing step.

Spikey

I also don't have Schizophrenia but I have a very rare syndrome that really no one can related to me so it does get annoying sometimes when they say the right things even though they are only trying to help. I just keep it to myself and say thanks to their comments.

OP
Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher

Staff member
Mod Team
Maybe I was being a little too harsh, I really wasn't feeling good that day, and talking to the doctor got me nowhere. But I had my wife talk to him last Friday and he gave me a new med so hopefully, it works.

Dave

The one thing that really irritates me is when people say, "I know how you feel". Unless they can somehow climb inside of you and experience what you are feeling, they haven't a clue! No one can know how another person feels, even if you are suffering from the same complaint; everyone feels differently. I've trained myself to get out this fallacy of saying 'I know how you feel' - it's more appropriate to say, providing you have had a similar or same experience, "I understand how you must feel". As for offering advice, again it's different for each person so it's best to err of the side of caution.

Doctors, hmmm, my opinions of them differ depending on their personality and ability to empathise and understand. I also believe, based on personal experience, that often doctors just give up on you when they have exhausted their arsenal and can sometimes be dismissive. This is more prevalent as you get older and many ailments become 'age related'.

No one, not even doctors, should assume to know how a person feels - they don't.