LOGO OF WEBPAGE

I am a man and I have anxiety.

nik-shuliahin-BuNWp1bL0nc-unsplash.jpg

I am a man and I have anxiety. This does not make me less of a man.

It is okay if you have ever:
  • Felt so worried you cancelled plans
  • Cried out of fear
  • Had a panic attack
  • Worried about what people think about you
  • Rang in sick to work because of Anxiety.
This does not make you less of a man.

It is okay to vulnerable. We must speak to break the stigma surrounding mental health in men.

Though there are many people with Anxiety, it can often be men who struggle to reach out for help. Statistics from the Mental Health Foundation revealed Suicide is the leading cause of death in the United Kingdom for 20 - 34 year olds and is considerably higher in men. Three times as many men take their own lives each year. Suicide is the leading cause of death in men under 50 in the UK.

We must speak about mental health, particularly with our men. Check in, make sure everybody is alright and knows you care. Sometimes that conversation can really be the difference between life and death.

Last edited:

ARx182

I agree. Anxiety is natural - it is not specific to a gender, and there is no need to be ashamed of having anxiety, because regardless of whether we reveal it to others or not, we all experience anxiety at some point.

ZandraJoi

That's a good article to post. People think that men need to be 'strong' & 'macho'. But mental health can affect any gender, at any age.

DudeThatsErin

Anyone can have anxiety. These whole gender stereotypes are just that, stereotypes. They aren't real. Everyone is a human and we all deal with different things and sometimes those things are anxiety or forms of it.

ALLEGRA

This one thing we never come to in terms with. Being a male doesnot mean that you are insulated from emotions and anxiety. Numerous times, I have felt anxious because of my relationship issues and work stress.

It took me a lot of time to understand that its common and that its okay to speak out.

DudeThatsErin

This one thing we never come to in terms with. Being a male doesnot mean that you are insulated from emotions and anxiety. Numerous times, I have felt anxious because of my relationship issues and work stress.

It took me a lot of time to understand that its common and that its okay to speak out.
Yeah, it sucks that this is a thing... I really wish people wouldn't put mental health only on women... men and women both have the same issues.

Bad

Anxiety is so hard to deal with especially, in my experience, as a man.
Well done on being open and honest.

Dave

I've moved my comment to the discussion thread as it seems a more appropriate place to air it.

Well done on bringing this issue into the light. There is both a stigma and illusion that men should always be strong and tough and never show their emotions. Whilst we (I am a man too BTW) may have a shell that is built differently to women, we still have the same emotions that can become our worst enemy when least expected.

You are correct in saying "It is okay to vulnerable" if we could not, then we would be devoid of emotions. There are many instances of anxiety and depression that can affect men and many causes that breaches the barriers of strength we possess. It can also be worse for men because of the stigma that comes with appearing weak; that is not to say that women cannot be affected badly too, but men have to deal with the unwarranted shame that comes from appearing weak. In such instances, the anxiety and depression will also feed from these negative feelings making matters worse.

Personally, I feel that it is a strength, not weakness, for men to come forward and share their feelings - it takes courage to admit that you are not what others expect you to be, and that is a failing on their part, not yours because people should accept you for who you are and not what they want you to be.

There is a native American saying that I am fond of using liberally that I would like to share:

"The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes could shed no tears"

So, let people see the rainbow of bright colours that make up part of who you are, don't be afraid to share your feelings with someone, or a group of people, you trust. We are all human and by being human you are allowed to be fallible because no one is perfect - even those who believe they are lol.