LOGO OF WEBPAGE

How did you know you had depression?

I knew I had depression in college after I moved out when I couldn't stop eating and nothing made me happy. It was something that I was dealing with for years and didn't even realize I was dealing with.

After seeing a few different therapists, I can officially say I am on the other side and while I may be sad, I'm no longer depressed. It is a good, albeit, weird feeling. I struggled with depression since I was 12 or 13 without even realizing it.

Womble

With my first episode I didn't even know I had it - talking the nineties here when depression (in the UK at least) was a stigma and your GP would put "viral infection" on your sick note, so it was never discussed. I was diagnosed by a doctor and like you @DudeThatsErin I'd clearly been struggling with it for many years.

Lee

Administrator
Staff member
Admin Team
With my first episode I didn't even know I had it - talking the nineties here when depression (in the UK at least) was a stigma and your GP would put "viral infection" on your sick note, so it was never discussed. I was diagnosed by a doctor and like you @DudeThatsErin I'd clearly been struggling with it for many years.

Wow, at least we have progressed since then.

'Viral infection' is horrendous. I never have understood the stigma, people would criticise you for have an injured arm, so why if you have a mental health related illness?

Just does not make sense to me.

Back to the original topic at hand, I realised I was depressed about 18 years ago when I was 14. I was diagnosed by a doctor and had CBT. It has been an on going battle since then, mainly in my own head allowing me to speak about my troubles with people. That's my biggest hurdle, being open and honest and not pretending 'I am fine'.

OP
DudeThatsErin

DudeThatsErin

Wow. That is crazy. I'm glad you were eventually diagnosed and hopefully you are doing a lot better since then! Like Lee said, though, viral infection is horrible. I can't believe they did that.

Wow, at least we have progressed since then.

'Viral infection' is horrendous. I never have understood the stigma, people would criticise you for have an injured arm, so why if you have a mental health related illness?

Just does not make sense to me.

Back to the original topic at hand, I realised I was depressed about 18 years ago when I was 14. I was diagnosed by a doctor and had CBT. It has been an on going battle since then, mainly in my own head allowing me to speak about my troubles with people. That's my biggest hurdle, being open and honest and not pretending 'I am fine'.
Yeah, that was a struggle for me as well before I met my husband. He was the one that made me feel like it was okay to be open and honest about it as he struggled with depression for many years as well. It was hard getting to the point I am at but well worth it. :)

ALLEGRA

I had a episode of depression in high school. I knew it because of four reasons

1. No amount of cherry talking by anyone would help me be happy. I always wanted distract myself from thinking unwanted thoughts.

2. I skipped my meals and failed fo hydrate my body, even through it wrecked havoc.

3. I couldnt sleep. I tried many sleeping techniques but it didnt come so easily.

4. I ate. Just ate. And couldnt stop eating.

OP
DudeThatsErin

DudeThatsErin

I had a episode of depression in high school. I knew it because of four reasons

1. No amount of cherry talking by anyone would help me be happy. I always wanted distract myself from thinking unwanted thoughts.

2. I skipped my meals and failed fo hydrate my body, even through it wrecked havoc.

3. I couldnt sleep. I tried many sleeping techniques but it didnt come so easily.

4. I ate. Just ate. And couldnt stop eating.
I'm glad you figured out you had it though! I hope you have been able to get it treated. It, honestly, sounds like how I figured out I had it.

Soulwatcher

Staff member
Mod Team
I have had depression all my life, as far back as I can remember even as a kid. I have happy moments, but nothing truly makes me happy but my wife. If it wasn't for her I don't know where I would be right now. Because even with her by my side I am still always depressed.

Lee

Administrator
Staff member
Admin Team
I have had depression all my life, as far back as I can remember even as a kid. I have happy moments, but nothing truly makes me happy but my wife. If it wasn't for her I don't know where I would be right now. Because even with her by my side I am still always depressed.

Sorry to hear you have felt this way for so long. Have you been through therapy etc to try and improve your mood?

Do you take any medications?

Soulwatcher

Staff member
Mod Team
I find it is for me more of a mask. As soon as I stop taking it, im right back at the begining.
I never miss my medicine because I am not the same person when I don't take my medicine. I can always tell if I miss a dose because I get super agitated easily.

nibor

I fist knew I had depression when I first tried to end it, I just thought I was super sad, scince then I have been through a gamut of medication, only one worked but it made my blood pressure drop so much that I had black outs, so my pdoc had to reduce it.

Spikey

I knew I had depression when my chronic pain acts up really bad and all the meds I tried for the pain wasn't helping. The last few years though my docs finally found the right meds that have helped me greatly. They say I will still always have pain but these meds will reduce the pain drastically so I can still enjoy life.

I was diagnosed as a teenager. My symptoms were that I stopped eating mostly and I was withdrawn from most friends. I didn't really start getting treatment until I was in my 20s and at the time it was only meds. I went through multiple meds before I found one that I liked (Welburtin) and I was on that for a while, and then I'd stop, and then I'd need to go back on it again.

Into my 30s I started to recognize a seasonal aspect to it as well. I could get depressed anytime during the year, but I could feel it coming as November approached. I learned to recognize the sensation so that I could see it coming at any time and now instead of waiting until I'm absolutely rock bottom to get help, I can feel and recognize the downward slide early and reach out before I'm in a bad situation.

My latest episode started about 2 years ago and I would say that I'm approaching remission again now. I hate taking the meds, so with the doctor's permission, I'm backing off my dosage. I was at 450mg Welburtin XL up until early July. I'm backing down by 150mg every 30 days until I'm down to 150 and then I go to 150 every other day for 30 days. Day 3 - 7 after I drop a dose is pretty miserable for me, but after day 7 I level out and feel fine again. This time around I also started therapy and I felt it helped me a lot for a while, but after about 18 months I wasn't feeling the benefit of it anymore.

The key for me is recognizing when I'm not feeling right early and catching it before I get really bad. That's something I learned about myself that really helps.