LOGO OF WEBPAGE

Chronic pain

Spikey

I was born with chronic pain and that can cause me to get depressed sometimes. Sometimes the pain can be so bad I can't get out bed. The last few years my doctor finally found the right meds for me. I will always have pain but these meds help to keep the pain at a low level for the most part so I can enjoy life.
Anyone else have chronic pain? How do you deal with it?

Dave

Anyone else have chronic pain? How do you deal with it?

I hear you and can relate. I have Peripheral Neuropathy, which is nerve damage, and I am in pain all the time. Like you, I have meds and they help to control the pain to a level that can be tolerated, though sometimes when the ailment gets out of its collar it can be stressful. Pain is a natural depressant and when it's constant it can bring on bouts of depression; the biggest issue I have with pain is that it's an invisible ailment, unlike a broken leg in plaster, and people tend to make ill-advised judgements based on ignorance.

Pain is something you never get used to, rather, it is something you get accustomed to and deal with it accordingly. Sometimes it's controlled and other times it's like a psycho has been let loose inside of you with a machete. It's another one of life's hurdles.

Kezza

I've had a frozen sholder for the past 4 years, last year I was told that's its turned to a shortened nerve 🤷‍♀️
I've had injections into my shoulder but didnt really help also I had an ultrasound but didnt show much.
I was told that there wasn't a lot they could do as I have moment in it, so basically shut up and put up.
I started cbd oil which helped so much but since being on medication for anxiety I had to stop using it and the pain has come back. So I can kinda understand the constant pain as I have it daily. I take ibuprofen daily and sometimes topped up with paracetamol. I will be going back and demand something else is done as I need to know what it is so I can get my head around it.

Dave

I was told that there wasn't a lot they could do as I have moment in it, so basically shut up and put up.
I believe this is a common complaint people have with their health care professionals. I can empathise on both sides - you want something to help, they want to help, but there is a limited understanding as to what can be done. I get their frustration to the point where they see so many people with pain issues and the end result may be the same for them all. As individuals we are most concerned about our own selves, it may sound like a selfish attitude, but it isn't and our only line of hope is with the health care professionals who are limited in what they can do. It's like a catch-22 situation, you want help, they want to give it, but the drugs don't work, nor the therapies (maybe they do for some).

I truly feel for both parties, including my selfish self lol.

I even once said to my physiotherapist once, when he was explaining that pain was the body's warning system that something is wrong, "well when it's warned me why the hell doesn't it turn off, I don't need to be constantly reminded that something is wrong'. If nothing else it got a laugh :)

OP
Spikey

Spikey

@Kezza that sucks that your health care workers arent taking it seriously. You should definitely voice your opinion and demand something to happen.

@Dave you are definitely right that pain is something you will never get used to but its something we have to live with for those of us that have it so I try to make the most of it, especially on my good days.

Kezza

Can you ever get use to it tho that's the thing.. yeah sure you get on with it but you always know its there. Like I've always been told in life put up and shut up so that's what I do with everything.

Dave

Can you ever get use to it tho that's the thing.. yeah sure you get on with it but you always know its there. Like I've always been told in life put up and shut up so that's what I do with everything.
You can never get used to it - you can get accustomed to it and deal with it in whichever way is best for you. I understand the 'put up and shut up' attitude of some, but they're not the ones in pain. Pain is insidious, it can grind you down as it drains you day in, day out; it's how you deal with it that makes you or breaks you. It's OK to have bad days and be in a bad mood because of it, that's being human and others need to at least try to understand that this is something people have to live with every day for the rest of their life, it's not something that goes away after having a bump or broken bone. If they have ever had severe pain, they know what it's like, but then they need to put themselves in a position where that pain they suffered never goes away, they may think differently then, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

You just be who you are and if people don't like it then they can just 'put up and shut up' ;)