A happy story.

alsarcastic

My job puts me in the unique position where I deal with mental health - depression frequently - yet I have nothing in the way of mental health training.

One day, a few years ago I was walking through the town with my girlfriend at the time when I man approached me.

He said, "excuse me, I'm sorry to bother you. You probably don't remember me. I just wanted to say thank you. I hope you don't mind me interrupting your day. When you came to see me that day I was low. The lowest I have been and I wanted to kill myself. But you came and spoke to me and treated me like a real person and it's because of you I am still here. Thank you."

Then he shook my hand and walked away.

It took me a long time to remember who he was. I went to see this man when he was in mental health crisis and spoke to him like a person, like he mattered. Because of me he is still here.

And if I don't do anything else in my life of any worth I will always know that I made a difference to that one person.

Lee

Administrator
Staff member
Community Admin
Community Moderator
See, this is what it is all about.

Listening, acknowledging and just being there is often enough.

I know myself I have been at the point of ending it all and knowing somebody is there to listen and care is enough to stop me.

You should be proud of yourself. Keep doing what you are doing!

ALLEGRA

Thats some positivity I get to read in this time of dark news.

As I had stated elsewhere, the issue is that some people dont require any treatment at all. They just need a person to talk and listen to them.

I became a verified listener on a online counselling site and I regularly talk with them. I find that it relaxes me as well as them.

Thanks for sharing.